View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 12:09 AM   #12
Synchro909

Default Re: Fan Blade orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
PDGX,

If I were you, I would remove that fan ASAP.

What you have is a very poor replacement 4 blade fan. It has no strength in the blades close to the hub and over time, and in some cases not very long, the blades will flex just outboard of the hub and fatigue, crack and fail. When this happens, the blade will either exit thru the hood top, radiator or if you are real lucky, it will go straight down and not harm anything. I have seen several of these replacement fans fail and I would never have one on any of my cars. This fan also has a very poorly shaped blade that is very inefficient.

The replacement 2 blade aluminum fans that look like the originals seem to hold up very well and are very efficient.

The Ford Factory 4 blade fan that was used on the "B" engine was very well designed as far as the blade configuration was concerned and they have a reinforcing channel stamped into the part of the blades near the hub.

This is my opinion from over 60 years of experience in the hobby.

Chris Wickersham,
Techanical Director, Santa Anita A's Chapter, MAFCA.
Agree with all of those points. Flipping the fan will not make it move air in the opposite direction.