View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
steve s

Default Re: Clothes Pins On Fuel Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
... the problem is due to heat from the engine compartment getting INTO the fuel line, not fuel that was heated elsewhere needing to cool off as it traverses the engine compartment. ... Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Now if someone had these I could say that it is acting like a heat sink and removing heat from the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Mike V., I don't think so. To remove heat from a fuel line, the surrounding air has to cooler than the fuel in the line, BUT that is not the case! We have cool fuel entering the engine compartment from the fuel tank at maybe 80-90 degrees on a warm day. Meanwhile underhood temperatures may reach 200 degrees. This is what heats the fuel. Aluminum clothes pins will only conduct heat into the fuel line faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
If the air was stagnant then the case could be made but the air is moving through engine compartment, more surface area by way of the aluminum in the air moving by could be argued that it may be of help reducing the heat on the line (but most likely not), but it sure makes better sense than wood.
Not surprising that this topic can never be resolved when we can't even agree which way heat wants to flow. Sorry, Mike, I'm with 40 Deluxe on this one: the problem is caused by hot air in the engine compartment heating the fuel line. Circulating hot air would be even more efficient at heating the fuel line since a layer of somewhat cooler air can not build up between the line and the larger heat reserve. Adding aluminum "fins" to the fuel line would only make it a more efficient heat sink for the engine compartment.

Now, if the fuel line were wet, so there could be evaporative cooling, it would be different.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote