View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Can the Model A hobby survive?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
1. Many of your points are valid.
2. Many young people cannot afford to mess with Model As because the costs are thru the roof compared to later muscle cars, etc. For example, you can buy 2 crate SBC for what an A rebuild will run you
3. There are some young people that are becoming active
4. Yes speed is an issue for many younger people, and there are ways to make them go faster, but you gotta have some bucks to get a Mitchell, change out the rear end, get a better head and cam to go with all this, etc. In other words we are right back to dollars again
5. I do not think the future will be all that bad to the A hobby. Interest in Model Ts on the other hand has fallen way off because of HP, speed, safety, small size, etc. I am optimistic that the A will fare better.
6. This paragraph, however, is a gross generalization and does this valuable forum a grave disservice:

All the forums that I have looked at so far (including this one) follow this pattern; someone makes a comment or asks a question, and the discussion devolves into personal attacks, name-calling, politics, etc. or it is dominated by the same few experts talking to each other. Or, there are endless discussions among the same few about minute and obscure details that almost no one cares about.

There are many many experienced people on here giving good advice from years of experience. It is being soaked up by the newcomers. In fact there was a very recent thread by a poster thanking the pros on here. You should take the time to look at all the comments it generated. Some of the pros have upwards of 15 thousand posts. These are people who are knowledgeable and passionate about Model As. They do not deserve to be painted with this brush.

My nephew, 24, has 4 antique cars including an A he is totally restoring. He is also active in Auto-cross with his 6 cyl manual tranny Lexus and does well there. He is also on the Lexus forum, which is clearly mostly 20-30 yr-olds. . He says the same thing about that forum. Many very knowledgeable posters and many more who are lost mechanically who are seeking help. The help they need is offered, but not always taken. No different from any other public forum. Users are not required to take a mechanical aptitude test or a personality assessment screening. Forums mean different things to different people. They are, after all, still very much alive and well.