View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
John Stone

Default Re: Business Coupe vs. Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming-8 View Post
PO51,

As I looked at those pics last nite I was wondering about those large curved brackets as well. Just did not remember those being a part of our top hardware. Tonite when I saw the pics that had been posted by John Stone I thought "Well now, that is like ours!!"

New question for John, how early is your '28, do you know the month stamped on the firewall??

This is all very interesting, as there has not been such thorough discussion about the business coupes anywhere I have looked. I really appreciate all of the sharing of info and pics.
There is no date stamped on the firewall (there was a time when they didn't stamp numbers on firewalls). The number is 94,478 which the engine matches the frame. That makes it an April car. The Business coupe was not introduced until a little later so this is an extremely early one. Several years ago I corresponded with someone in CA that had and earlier one (#90,xxx). I have the original wood and even saw the original bill of sale and they indicate it is truly a BC. The original title says it was delivered in Carpio ND in July 28. Bought by Custom Cutters and brought back to Kinsley KS in the late 60's. It was unmolested and included the early Ames horn, belt rail, mushroom shift knob, early hood, scriipt shocks with numbered shock arms and Ford Script crank. Too bad they let it sit outside so the the top weathered and fell into the seat and started rusting things. My brother bought it in the 70's and stored it at our Dad's place until I got it in the early 80's and started the restoration. It orginally had blue check interior which I couldn't find so it was done in grey. Showed it at the first World Meet in 1986. Pretty well a hanger queen ever since. I think it has about 2500 miles.

A couple of things about the top, there were 4 cloth straps across the top rather than 3 and the metal staps at the back actually bent over the back of the main bow rather than in front of it. I used the originals as patterns.

That is about all I can think of right now. Really didn't think many people were interested in BC's.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote