View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Bruce_MO

Default Tappet noise? Insights needed, please

I asked this question before several months ago and didn't get a lot of insights, so I thougth I'd try again...

I have a rebuilt touring engine that runs great, other than a pretty pronounced "ticking" noise. The noise always completely disappears after a few minutes when the engine warms up, and the engine sounds and runs beautifully after that.

I assume it's a valve lifter that needs to be re-adjusted.

I called the rebuilder (many of you would know him) and his initial reaction was it could be several things, but I wasn't anxious to pull the engine to take it to him if the problem is easily fixable. I'm going to check the valves, and I've seen lots of previous 'Barn correspondence on valve clearance settings and technique. But I got to thinking...could it be a loose valve seat? I would assume that a loose seat would be noisier and perhaps more erratic in sound. And after being hammered, I would think it would get worse over time, and warm-up wouldn't make the noise go away. How would one test for a loose seat? Compression test? Regardless, I'm going to check the valve clearances first.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote