View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
blucar

Default Re: Front window 1936 5 window

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Having replaced the rubber windshield seal on several crank-out windshields I can speak from experience that they are very hard to get out of the channel grove. An easy way to help get the old hard rubber out is to use an electric heat gun to soften the rubber.

Once the channel is clean, repaint the surface with satin black rust inhibitor paint. Do not glue the new rubber seal in.
The dash is held in place by 12 flat headed screws that are concealed behind the windshield frame. They will be very hard to remove. I generally use a screw driver that fits the screw head perfectly, I then hit the handle of the screw driver a few times with a small hammer, don't try to force the screw. I then use an electric heat gun to heat the screw up, letting the screw cool, I spray PT Blaster on the screw, letting it sit for awhile. I then use the impact screw driver trick again. Taking your time, the screws will come right out. Note! The bolts that hold the dash in go into a nut that is 'captive' into the dash edge, therefor they are not assessable until the dash is out of the vehicle. If you break the screws, you will be in deep trouble.
Harbor Freight sells a nice set of Hammer Head screw drivers which are knock-offs of Snapon.
I have had the windshield out of my '36 several times during the 71 years I have owned the car. I recently had to remove the windshield and dash from a '36 pickup, using the procedure I outlined in the above.

Last edited by blucar; 05-05-2020 at 11:56 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote