View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
RogerM

Default Dimensioned drawing of flathead V8 engine

I have been reviewing all the posts in relation to finding TDC and setting the initial timing – this forum has been a fantastic source of information - thanks.
As well as the various other methods mentioned in this forum for finding TDC, I read one on the forum which mentions an alternate method based on measurements of #2 and #3 pistons being at the same height when #1 is at TDC. I have seen this in the book by Victor Page (The Ford V8 Cars and Trucks, page 200, figure 94), but have not seen this mentioned anywhere else.
Similarly, the ruler method for setting initial timing (on the three bolt distributor) has been referenced to the 1934 Ford patent, but I have not seen it written down anywhere else. I also have reverse-engineered the three bolt initial timing (static) from the 1946 ruler method for the two bolt distributor which seems to align with the centre of the retaining bolt hole on the three bolt distributor as mentioned elsewhere (many times) on this forum.

What I am specifically interested in is the detailed engineering drawings for the engine which has the three bolt “divers helmet” type distributor. I have seen some drawings on the internet that have been derived from the Service Bulletins (into a CAD package I assume).

Has anyone developed more detailed engineering drawings, or have scanned copies of originals, which would enable confirmation of the TDC and initial timing processes as mentioned above?

regards

Roger
(Canberra, Australia)
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote