Thread: Car shows
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #104
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Car shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforder View Post
I guess I will chime in on this subject. I started going to car shows about 10 years ago when I bought a 56 chevy 4 door, It was nice but not really show quality.

First show I got a 3rd place trophy, (there were only 4 in the class). But it got me hooked. Sold it and got a 78 chevy short box C-10 that was customized. A real beauty, and almost always brought home a 1st place trophy.

Then decided I wanted to join a club, and besides the street rod club, which I have never been into, there was the Mustang club. Bought a 65 coupe 6 cylinder, and have been a ford guy every since.

Our club puts on a show every year ( this is the 27th annual this year). Like every other car show in a 100 mile radius, we charge admission to show your car, and spectators are free. I should take that back there a few that also charge spectator admission, but they Are all indoor winter shows. We charge $15 preregistration, and $20 day of show. This is pretty common around here. We also have many sponsors, but after we buy trophies, and door prizes, advertising, insurance, etc etc, we make very little money.

I personally go to very few judged shows anymore, because I have so many trophies, I don't know what to do with them. We moved a couple years ago, and ended up with less room to display stuff, so gave away several dozen trophies to the Boy Scouts. There several show and shines that are free that I take in. A couple of the local retirement/nursing homes have show and shines each year that are great. Many of the old folks (many very little older than me) really like these old cars.

I also agree that at many shows the music is WAY to loud. I do enjoy the old songs, but not so loud. I am not that hard of hearing. LOL Oh, About Lawrence Welk, As many of you may know, when he was starting out, he played all over the country at dances. Well there was a well known ballroom in a small town about 20 miles from where my folks lived, and they went there to dance quite often, Well when I was a baby, His band was playing one night and they went, but couldn't dance, because someone had to watch me. Lawrence saw this, and offered to sit with me while they danced. So I tell people that Lawrence Welk was my babysitter.
I find it easier to read long posts if they are broken up into paragraphs. Some times I copy and paste the article into a word processor and make the text bigger for my tired old eyes.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote