View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Brother Hesekiel

Default My first Model T

After test-fitting my 6'6" body in various Model A's and T's, I had to decide whether I would go the sedan route or go to the most comfortable of them all, the Speedster. Well, I found one, bought it, and here is what I know about it. Either built or restored in the late 1980s, which is good, because that was in the pre-Internet/repop days. Sold to the previous owner in 1991. Last registered in 1995 to "Horseless Carriage" plates, but reportedly had run "a few years back." No ignition key, but I ordered a couple today.

Title and engine # 4316425 make this an 8/1920 car. Waukesha Ricardo Head, Ruckstell rear. Waterpump and (dead) 12V battery with a mfg date of 2001. 4.40-4.50/21 tires are totally dry rotted. What I really don't like about this car is the red color; eventually it will be painted Henry Ford black and the paint will be aged to give it the dignity a 91-year-old deserves.

I'm now slowly trying to awake this car from the hibernation. Ordered new Champion "X" spark plugs, belt and radiator hose kit, put Marvels Mystery Oil in the spark holes, slowly rotating the engine, not realizing that it would go down the intake tract into the carb which promptly puked it out. Need to flush the almost empty gas tank, started to drain the oil, and this is where I'm confused: do I really drain the oil by just opening the two petcocks on the right side? I did, but it's dripping rather slowly. I take it the oil fill-in is next to the generator, right?
Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated. I'm also interested to know what you think would have been a fair market value for this car, as described. Make me feel good or tell me straight to my face what's bad. I'm asking for it!

And, yes, I will tell you what I paid for it once I've gotten your educated guess.

Last edited by Brother Hesekiel; 07-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote