View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 08:56 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Prices going through the roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
Let's see; an interior is $5000, a paint job is $5000, an engine is $5000. So a $20,000 Model A is $5000 for the completed body, fenders, etc. Suddenly, it's seems that that $20000 is a deal! IMO. LRF
This is where I think a lot of people do not understand...

Is an interior really $5k? It is easy to look at a catalog and see an upholstery kit is $3k-$4k, ...however we often tend to overlook items such painting the Mouldings, buying new seat springs, fabricating new seat wood, replacing the glass, floor mats/carpet, door & window crank handles, other deteriorated wood (which causes upholstery tacking issues), etc. This also does not factor in any labor if someone needs professional assistance doing the install.

In today's economy, decent paint & materials alone will likely cost in excess of $5k, -BUT, when we are budgeting we tend to forget about the costs of stripping the old paint or rust, plus costs for any sheetmetal repairs needed. Also, budgeteers must factor in Wood since that is approaching 100 years old and generally needs attention too.

This thing about engine being $5k, ...yes however it is the little things (new water pump, hoses, clamps, fan belt, new exh manifold, distributor rebuilt or replaced, carburetor rebuilt, bolts & fasteners, and so on where before you know it, you've well exceeded that $5k budget in that department too.

We also forgot to factor in other areas of safety such as Brakes, Steering, Tires & tubes, Electrical, etc. which all adds up very quickly.

My point is all of these items I have listed above are requirements (-at least in my view) to have what folks generally would consider a 'decent' Model-A that can go on drives & tours without causing stress for the driver and occupants. Both Buyers and Sellers who understand this realize that the day of the $10k, -or even $15k Model-A is not reality any longer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote