View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
tubman

Default Re: how many cfm for two carb flathead??

You think you were "stupid ass kids"; hell, you were amateurs. I had a friend with a good running 2 barrel 265 in a '55 Bel Aire hardtop. We stumbled across a 6-2 setup and installed it , expecting instant gratification. The only way we could get it to run was to use the center carb on each side. Surprisingly, it was at least driveable that way. Since we couldn't figure out how to adapt a progressive linkage, we ran a wire from the end 4 carbs into the passenger compartment. When we got this set up, we went out for a test drive. My buddy was driving, and right after he floored it, he yelled to me "Hit it!". I gave the wire a good pull and the engine immediately started to stumble badly and eventually died.

The next day we were at Carmichiel's Auto Parts (Junkyard), begging to trade the 6-2's for a 4-BBL and manifold. Ahhh, the follies of youth.

As to two carbs on a flathead? My recommendation (if you have a full hood), is a small base 2G on a bored out Merc manifold; 275 CFM and no problems.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote