View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #5
Garcia

Default Re: Any help for a new guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Not trying to be a smart A$$ but how did it run before you "tuned it up"? We need something/somewhere to start. What exactly did Mr. Andrews tell you to do? What is the condition of the engine, etc?

Oh, and welcome to the Barn.
Thanks for the welcome. It ran fine around the block a couple times before I bought it, but the auto transport trailer was too big for my neighborhood (he said), so I had to pick the car up at 10 pm at a truck stop eight miles away. Along the way home, it kept stalling and backfiring. A guy who seemed to be knowledgeable about cars in general monkeyed around under the hood, and followed me for the whole trip. We managed to get it almost all the way home, except it died for good at the end of my alley and we had to push it the rest of the way.

Since then, it has been somewhat on and off. I drove it around the neighborhood once with no problem, then tried again a couple days later. That time, the engine just died and I was lucky to meet up with a guy with a pickup and a tow strap.

I figured the best thing would be to set the points (it has modern points) and timing and adjust the two adjustments on the carburetor according to Andrews, and since then some days it will start and some days it won't. It's the kind of thing that can't really be described in a forum post, which is why I was hoping somebody locally might be willing to help.

Tomorrow, I intend to work through the roadside troubleshooting steps from the Andrews troubleshooting book and maybe find something glaringly wrong and easily fixed.

If there's anything I can specifically address that might make things clearer, please let me know.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote