View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #102
G.M.

Default Re: Vapor lock 1 and 2

Vic put in a simple return line, that's the real fix.
Just came back from a 30 mile each way ride to Arcadia for lunch 85 here in Punta Gorda and just about 90 in Arcadia.
Only had an 1/8th tank of fuel when I left so the fuel was warm and some more heat added to the fuel in the tank from the returned fuel which accounts for the cooler pump and carb temps after filling the tank.
On the trip over traveled at about 65 except for about a 2 minute spurt at 90. Ran good at 90 with no notice of any fuel starvation. Water temperature was 180, slowed down to 45 for 3 or 4 miles and the temperature dropped to about 178. Stopped for lunch water temp 178, carb temp 110, fuel pump temp 112. closed hood went in for lunch. Came out in 25 minutes water temp was 184, carb 125, fuel pump 128 and carb fuel bowl right on the sight glass line 1/2" from the top.
Stated up on the first turn, drove 1/4 mile and stopped at a store, came out in 10 minutes and it started on the first turn. Went 1 mile stopped and filled the tank with 10% ethanol and it started on the first turn. Drove 25 miles and stopped at a friends, got out and checked temps. Carb was 115, fuel pump 112. Let it running about 8 or 10 minutes and temp went to 190. In 3 miles the temp came back down to 182. Went about 8 more mile through town and arrived at where I am now. Carb temp 107 and fuel pump temp 105., water 182. It cooled down slightly out here by the water. So with those results I have no doubt this is the best cure for VL along with the 1/2" vented carb space from Bob Shewman.
I have some idea's for better installation. Drill a 3/16" in the pump to carb line a few inches from the pump aiming towards the flex hose. Clean and silver solder a 2" piece of the 3/16 OD steel brake tube in the hole. Put the Airtex CI-8000 fuel valve back at the fitting installed in the filler neck with the arrow towards the filler neck. Use a brake tube fitting for 3/16" flared brake line into the input or fuel pump side if the check valve. They make all lengths of brake tube all ready flared with fittings on them. Use them from the filler neck up the frame and up the firewall along with the 1/4" fuel line that supplies fuel to the pump. Get a 3/16" ID thin fuel hose and slip over the cut off end of the return line run with the flex hose and plug it on the tube silver soldered in the carb line. There is only a lb or so of pressure in the return hose so the small band ring clamps you sqeeze will be good. I don't need to do any more testing but would like to see a few others try it so they can verify my results. You could run a plastic tube back and with and an old gas cap drilled for the tube return the fuel that way to test it. Don't forget if you use tube with an Id larger than .130 you need a .130 restrictor in the return. G.M.