View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #100
donald1950

Default Re: Vapor lock 1 and 2

that is probably one of the reasons alot of manufactures started placing the pumps inside the fuel tanks. to get them away from the heat of the motor and to have the gas keep them cooled.

another thought: with the c***y motor, the pump is mounted low on the right front of the motor and that provides a place in directly in the flow of cooler air and puts the pump at the same aproxamate level as the gas tank so it does not have the inhearent problems of the ford's placement that has to pull fuel up to the top of a hot motor where the fuel pump sits captive in non flowing hot air.

i do have a GM motor in my 50 and run a stock GM fuel pump on the right front in the air flow, the fuel line has been re-routed down to frame level. the motor has a 195 thermostat and AC and so runs at the 200+ degree range i have never have any problem with vapor lock.

i believe that if a person is one is going to use a stock ford fuel pump on top of a hot motor, at some point they probably will experience vapor lock. rather than going through all this "experimentation" of fuel return lines, check valves and everything else being expereminted here in this thread, doing what Old Henry has done, installing an in line, pull thru axuxilary pump down low on the frame, in the cool air flow and at the same level as the fuel tank, with a "when needed" switch (what i did on my other 50s and 41 PU) is a simple and effective souloution to this issue.

it just seems to me that what has been said here on this thread, the cure seems to be "over engineering" at it best. there is a simple souloution avalable without going overboard..

just my thought... don
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote