View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 02:47 AM   #29
expavr

Default Re: Vapor lock 1 and 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1932 V8 View Post
I like the idea of this. It seems like this is the way things are going(or have been but I am out of touch with modern fuel systems) with a return line . I know they are doing this with Holley carbs on high perf engines and of course mechanical fuel injection .
I have a question going back to what I know about how a mechanical fuel injection fuel system works with a mechanical pump that gains pressure with RPM's and has a return line back to the tank to bleed off excess pressure .
So with that said ,How much pressure can the needle & seat handle safely on a Stromberg 97 ??
Lets say it will handle 3 lbs safely , could you get a stock pump to put out 4lbs cold and maybe 3 1/2 lbs hot , then run a return line off the fuel line between the pump and carb/carbs that has a 2 1/2 lb check valve/poppet with a pill (restricting jet ) in it set at .oXX" (would have to do the math) so essentially giving the carb/carbs 2 1/2 lbs at all times with fuel also returning back to the tank to keep the fuel pump cool ???
I am sure there are flaws with this thought but I am liking what you are doing .
I really like the tuning/tinkering/learning/researching part of playing with old Fords in today's modern surroundings. Never a dull moment .
Mike
Aeromotive makes a decent fuel pressure regulator 3-60 psi with a by pass port that you can plug a fuel return line into. Cost $135.00. No need to reinvent the wheel if you decide to install a fuel return line. These regulators are designed to be used on high performance engines which may be overkill on our street driven flatheads, but its use along with a fuel return line might be worth the effort if vapor lock becomes a serious problem. Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote