View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #60
Paul Bennett

Default Re: Snap On versus Craftsman

I'm going to stick my neck out and CRITICIZE deucemac. Sorry mac. BREAK UP THE LOVELY PROSE and make it readable - PLEASE.

My one 80 year old eyeball just can't read your original post because of the solid print, especially when ENTER KEYS are so cheap.

Flame me, I deserve it ... but if I entice someone to actually read your post and FUTURE POSTS which they likely otherwise skip over, great. Sigh - color me inappropriate for the season. MC&HNY btw. There and I'm not sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemac
I started wrenching in 1962 with some low grade tools out of necessity. I replaced them all over a period of time, with Snap on tools. I still have most all of them. I have worked both aircraft and automobiles for the past 54, soon to be 55 years. NY automotive box is most Snap on and my aircraft box is mostly Craftsman.

I found out years ago that Craftsman tools do not hold up to the rigors of dealership life when you may work on 10 to 15 vehicles a day. Or heavy line where brute strength in tools are important. Both have lifetime warranties, but seldom have I had to have Snap on tools warranted. I worked flight test for most of the bid aircraft manufacturers at one time or another. I found that aircraft work was easier on the tools than automotive. Plus, aircraft work is mostly done with 1/4 inch ratchets and sockets, some 3/8 used, and rarely 1/2 stuff unless doing landing gear work. So my Craftsman tools performed very well under those conditions.

Someone mentioned Bonney wrenches and I must agree that there is nothing better than a Bonney wrenches when working with tubing and "B" nuts. Snap on has always been expensive but the price semi better to swallow when the wrench, socket, or ratchets don't break and you keep on earning a living and not running down to the Sears store (and as someone pointed out fading fast). I have used and enjoyed both brands and are very good within their own elements. Now retired it doesn't make much difference which tool brand I choose because both they and I enjoy far more relaxed pace, only working my projects as I choose.

A friend and I were discussing Harbor Freight tools recently and both agreed that buying those tools was based on whether we were going to use it more than once. Repeat use kind of eliminates H/F. I once managed a shop and the owner bought us tools for Christmas one year. I received a beautiful set of Stahl-Wiley screwdrivers . Very high quality German tools that impressed me a lot. I liked Snap on screwdrivers but it seemed like they grew legs and ran away all the time! I took the Snap on screwdrivers and bought the cheap wood handled screwdrivers of the Mac truck and they never went missing! Had to replace them every so often but nobody seemed to want to steal those!

So my opinion is that for me, Craftsman tools are great light duty or hobby tools and Snap on hold up mu h better under heavy industrial use. So buy the tool for your needs and if it costs more and lasts longer than others, buy it. Putting beans on your plate will dictate the brand most of all. And lastly, yes I have worked with tool nuts that just HAD to have Snap on tools when lesser brands would perform very well. The Snap on dealers LOVED those guys!
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote