View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #50
mercman from oz

Default Re: Snap On versus Craftsman

In Australia, back in the fifties, sixties and seventies, the main mechanics tool that was available was the Sidchrome brand. I bought my set back in the late sixties. Back then, I also added a complete set of Whitworth Sockets and Spanners. They never get used? Like Snap-On, Sidchrome offer a lifetime guarantee. These tools were proudly made in Australia.
The brand emerged when Royston Siddons' Siddons Drop Forgings Pty Ltd turned to tool making to fill post-war shortages after World War II. Original production of Sidchrome tools in Australia was in the Brunswick area in the city of Melbourne, Victoria.
The Sidchrome brand built its reputation with high quality products. Sidchrome until 1996 were manufactured in Australia, but since being acquired by The Stanley Works (named Stanley Black & Decker since 2010) production is now undertaken in Taiwan. The foreign built tools look very nice and shiney and seem to work well also.
If you want to read more about these Australian made Sidchrome Tools, please visit the following Website:- http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/siddons-royston-11689
In recent years, Snap-on Tools have become available. I have also seen some Craftsman Tools, but this brand is not really well known in Australia.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote