View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 08:43 AM   #19
Karl Wescott

Default Re: Annual MONSTER Swap Portland, Or

I have NOT been a vendor in the last two years. Marginal sales overall (this is a business decision overall) has been the trend for several years. Committing to essentially all day Sunday for tear-down only totally wastes the day. More and more this seems to be a social event with people coming to visit each other, and less a buying/selling experience. From a reproduction manufacturer/vendor standpoint this show especially, and all shows generally have become less of a sales opportunity and more of marketing promotion... Customers now prefer to order parts delivered direct to them without the hassle of waiting for the meet, and difficulty of transport.

Going to a Friday-Saturday format has its attractions, however the reality is that any large or elaborate booths will require several hours to tear down. If the hours were to be extended for selling, say 7:00 am to 5:00 pm thats a 10 hour day and as I start to age that becomes tougher. Plus the 2-4 hour tear down and load out brings it to a 14 hour day and sorry but I will likely pass due to safety concerns over exhaustion.

A Sunday tear down/load out only would help that and only waste a half day.

Back when the Portland Swap Meet started it was the Portland Swap Meet and Antique Car Show. Perhaps bring that back. There were enough vacant inside spaces to provide room for 50 cars. Space the cars so there are some in each building, with sitting areas to allow visiting. This would increase the value of time at the show for those who only have a passing interest in purchasing stuff AND would tend to introduce the older cars and owners to the younger generation of gearheads who are not exposed to them often.

Sunday could be a vendor/exhibitor only social and tear down day. A "complimentary" breakfast for those who stayed the full Friday-Saturday would provide both a "thank you" and an opportunity for vendors, car exhibitors, and committee members to socialize, and leave at a reasonable hour (perhaps breakfast 8:00 to 10:00, tear down 9:00-done, most out by 12:00)
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote