View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
hardtimes

Default Re: bearing insert identification help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Its all good,the dipper rain shower has value. I would think if the dipper port was drilled into the insert it wouldn't hurt,hell it might help.In operation the dipper never starves,it would provide instant lubrication on start up and shouldnt have much impact on the pressure feed,the dipper is constantly forcing oil into the bearing,granted your not developing high oil pressure the dipper should compliment the system.

Windage is a potential issue,if your turning high pressure the dipper just adds resistance.
I agree with your assessment.
Except that my B pans do not have dipper trays, usually. So, dipper would be superfluous weight. I remove tray (with full oil pressure system) and add an oil 'damming' system, which is designed to keep a good supply of oil around the pump pickup. Especially upon hard acceleration and / or hard cornering. Since this pan was already missing the dipper tray, and made for full oil pressure, I figure that the old timer possibly had the same thing in mind, but didn't get around to removing the dippers.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote