View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #18
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Has Anyone Ever Found A Use For WD-40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I sure never have, it runs out as a lubricant very quickly. As I recall there was a lot of ballyhoo about it when it appeared back in the '60s, I think it was developed by the Government, hence the name, maybe in connection with the space program.

Since all we had before that was 3-in-1 Oil, or maybe LiquidWrench, it seemed like a technological miracle at the time....seems like a waste now.
Yeah, it's highly over-rated. From what history I've read a chemist was searching for a product to remove water from various surfaces. Thus WD means "Water Displacement", and "40" was his 40th attempt at getting the right formula.
It's not a good penetrating oil nor is it a very good lubricant, but it does a good job of displacing water so it does what it was designed for. As popular as it is, there must have been a marketing genius behind it!
There are much better penetrants and much better lubricants out there. Keep some of each on hand so you don't reach for the WD-40 (unless your distributor got wet!).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote