View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
Corley

Default Re: 12 V alternator choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceBlack View Post
I have been in auto electric business over 30 years and have built hundreds of 10si 6 and 12 volt units, neg. and positive grd. These are very reliable units and easy to service. The one wire units with internal resistor will excite at lower rpm but can cause battery draw over long times of no use. Unit with inline diode will turn with key, one wire requires alternator to rotate at a set rpm to excite and can turn off when idle. I have used the small Nippon alternator on some other cars and tractors but belt sometimes it's hard to match pulley, shaft size on Nippon alternator is smaller so you have to find a wide pulley. All will work.
Vince is right on...

I will add that most little Nippon alternators (the ones with a V belt pulley), have enough meat to stick it in a lathe and widen the groove to fit the stock model A belt. Great little alternators, I've used several now in cars and tractors, never paid more than around $50 for one, new, on eBay, with free shipping. Carried in most auto parts stores for tons of foreign cars in an emergency, but the bargain is on eBay. Easy to make mounts yourself. Have yet to have one fail. Caveat: No 6v version, and no pos. ground version that I know of.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote