View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
mrtexas

Default Re: 1947 convertible radio antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
Hi guys. I am making progress on getting 'things' sorted out on my restored '47 convertible, thanks in part to you guys on FordBarn who have been helpful in steering me in the right direction as I learn more about this car. Most of my knowledge is with Model As but briefly with a '40 woodie in my past.
So I have a center of the windshield antenna that swings up and down with the interior knob. It works fine but the antenna section is just about an inch too long and hits the top of the cowl. I want to know how to take that section out, and shorten it before re installing.
I have really loosened the set screw and tried pulling on the antenna but it will not budge and I don't want to break anything. Also it is difficult to reach it from the side of the car.
Any thoughts how this short antenna comes out so I can cut it down and make it fit properly?
Thanks,
David
I have what you describe on my 41 woodie which is supposed to be in the center of the windshield. You should be able easily to remove the inside antenna and shorten it. I had to do it on my woodie as well. The inside antenna is spring loaded but can be removed by loosening the set screw. If I were you I'd take everything off including the knobs and shorten the antenna. Don't think the repro antennas can be used in woodies or convertibles without adjustment.