View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #19
shew01

Default Re: What are some of the counter intuitive things you have learned about a Model A?

Brent,

I think we mostly agree. I'm very serious in trying to create a list of helpful hints for Model A newbies. Thanks for helping me clean it up a bit. I've added numbers to the items to make them easier to pick out for improvement. You are a respected hobbyist, and I appreciate your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
For example, the Model-A DID have a VIN. The acronym VIN is short for the words Vehicle Identification Number, ...and Ford stamped this identifying number on the engine first and the frame second. It was the sole means of identifying that particular vehicle.
In post 1, this is now numbered "5)." According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number, formal VINs, mandated by the federal government, did not come into place until 1954.

As I understand it, the intents of a federally mandated VIN include the creation of a number that is easily seen and cannot be easily altered. The engine number tends to get restamped from time to time, engines get swapped out of the cars from time to time, and the number on the frame is not easily visible because it "hides" under the body, and the frame number may not be readable because of rust, or some folks say their frame does not have an engine number at all, at least that is what I've read.

So, while the engine number (which should match the frame number, but sometimes does not match the engine number) serves as "VIN" for DMV titling purposes, I respectfully disagree that the engine number is actually a VIN. We'll probably have to agree to disagree on that point.

Quote:
Next, your instruction on where to set the spark control lever might be the proper way for your vehicle however the placement that you are suggesting will likely cause most engines to overheat.
I updated that content. Please see post 1, item "7)".

Quote:
While I realize many people do not wish to read books, this is something that I feel every novice who owns a Model-A needs to do.
Please see post 1, item "9)".

Quote:
Use the forum to ask for guidance AFTER someone has read and re-read the instructions in the Handbook is the best way. I field so many technical questions in my line of work, and it seems that almost every one that asks me a technical question or a how-to question has not taken the time to read the instructions first.
Please see post 1, item "10)". ;-)

Thanks again. I sincerely appreciate your feedback. You have posted several times in response to questions that I have had. This forum has been EXTREMELY helpful in my learning about the Model A.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote