Thread: E 85
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #19
40 Deluxe

Default Re: E 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Stay far away from the stuff.

Brother-in-law ran it in his brand new Chevy pickup and by the time he had 60,000 miles on his truck it was back in the shop with major engine problems. The Chevy mechanic, first thing, asked him 'You aren't running E-85 are you?'

Brother-in-Law said 'yes I thought that was a good thing' they told him never ever use that crap again and showed him how it screwed up the motor in his truck.

E-10 is hard to stay away from. If you use MMO and a good fuel stabilizer like Startron that the outboard motor boat guys use that helps a lot. Buy straight gasoline when you can.
Did your brother-in-law's new Chevy have that little emblem on the tailgate (or maybe front fender) that says "Flex-Fuel"? If not, he had no business putting E85 in it! The manufacturer adds special equipment when the vehicle has this option. Corrosion-resistant this and that's, different O2 sensor (possibly), special computer programming, etc. Without the computer greatly richening the fuel mixture, the engine will run extremely lean on E85. I think the modern wide-band O2 sensors are able to richen it up enough, but don't count on it unless your rig is set up from the factory for it.
What was the fuel mileage on your BIL's pickup? I bet he complained about it! Mileage drops by a good third. If it got, say, 21 MPG on plain gas, it would have dropped to about 14. Does he still have it? Still using E85?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote