View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #31
Jim/GA

Default Re: Is this rumour correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
The MARC club I am in is also concerned, lost 20% of membership this last year at membership dues renewal. Do not think these members ever came to a meeting or activity though. My club is setting up a committee to see if anything can be done. The club is centered around social activities, monthly meetings, meets, shows, and of course a monthly get together at a place to eat. No technical/mechanical to speak of.

I have fears that with no activates/meetings for months due to Covid, will lose more people. It was nice to have things to go to, an excuse to go for a little group trip to where I had not been before.
I recently moved away from the Houston area, but I keep in touch with them from afar. As in your club, and others, we lose a few members every year due to age, death, or other life events. But at the same time, that club (a very active club, until the virus shut things down) has been able to recruit new members at about the same pace as they lost them.

The key is to have fun activities, and to have open, friendly inviting club members to make the new folks feel wanted. That's not easy.

Like Brent, I've been in the Model A hobby for 50 years, since I was a kid. I've heard people talking about getting younger members involved, how the numbers are going down, etc. for most of that time. Yet the hobby lives on, through dedicated people who draw in new blood.

The solution to this problem is you.

Last edited by Jim/GA; 04-15-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote