View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
'31 Patina

Default Air Compressor Help

I know this isn't really Model A related but I've received a lot of good information from people on the Ford Barn so I though I'd ask for some input and opinions.

For Christmas I got a new air compressor from my girlfriend and I'm wondering if it will be able to handle the things I would like to do with it. All I'm looking to use it for is to air up tires, rotate tires (impact wrench) and would also like to occasionally run a air ratchet wrench and die grinder.

It's a Craftsman 20 gallon portable vertical air compressor. The compressor is oil less and is 1.5HP. I've been doing a lot of research on compressors today and I'm learning that one of the most important things to consider is the CFM delivery. This pump has a CFM delivery of 3.8 at 90psi and 5.1 at 40psi. This doesn't seem like enough CFM's to run the air tools I've listed above. I've looked up the CFM's of 1/2" impact wrenches and its seems you at least need 5 CFM's at 90psi to run one. I don't want to have to wait 5 minutes in between every lug nut I take off.

I don't need anything fancy but I also don't want a 20 gallon air compressor that's only good enough to air up tires. I've also read that oil less compressors are loud and will wear out faster. Again I'm not using this every day or even every week....maybe just a few times a month. I'm not looking to sand blast or paint with it either.

Here is the link to the compressor if anybody is interested in seeing it.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

In your opinions would it be best to save up for one that has a higher CFM delivery? Oil vs oil less? I did a search on the Ford Barn and HAMB and found that most people suggest at least a 5HP 80 gallon tank.

Or does it make more sense to purchase a small compressor, like a 6 gallon, to air up tires and buy an electric 1/2" impact wrench? I heard Milwaukee makes a good one.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote