View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #26
eagle

Default Re: question. simple starter motor conversion to 12v

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Baese View Post
OK guys, respectfully, it seems that MikeK and Jim Brierley are contradicting one another. Mike states in post #3 that "The amperage will double for a 6V stater on 12V." Whereas Jim states in post #20 that "12v. wiring does not require heavier gauge wire as the amperage used is less than 6v."

So, Ohm's law states that voltage divided by resistance equals amperage. That would indicate to me that if one uses the original 6V wiring the resistance is constant when changing to 12V. Therefore wouldn't 12V in the system create higher amperage?

Further, if the field coils are wired in series to convert a 6V starter to 12V, hasn't the resistance of the field coils now theoretically doubled? If so, Wouldn't the amperage the starter motor sees be approximately the same?

I Think I'm confused now. Please help me to get this straight.

Kind regards,
geary
for the STARTER current doubles. For the rest, except the horn, if you replace a 50 w 6 volt bulb with a 50 w 12 volt bulb, current is half.