View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 03:03 PM   #11
rjlester

Default Re: Public Service Announcement: Avoiding Ethanol

Yes letting them sit is when ethanol is a big problem. I try and start every winterized engine in the yard at a bare minimum once over winter. Usually over Christmas I do this. Just today I went out and started them all for the second, some for the third time since fall. I let them run until full engine temp and shut them down. If there is room in the garage, I will move them back and forth a few feet, keeps gears and transmissions lubed etc.

When I park my snowmobiles for the summer, I also start them half way through the summer and let them run a few minutes. Never have a problem starting up any of them when snow season starts.

Now I do have one classic car with high compression that requires premium. I have had about 6 fill ups of bad premium in the last 10 years. I think it's because nobody really buys premium anymore and the stuff goes stale. I can tell within a few blocks of filling up as the engine wants to stall, lacks power and sputters. Get home, drain the fuel, then I get some premium from another station and it runs fine on the "new" fuel. I then put the crappy fuel in my modern daily driver and the computer just makes simple adjustments and runs fine. Carbs and distributors etc, cannot cope with bad fuel.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote