View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
Synchro909

Default Re: Which tap and die set

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
When cleaning old threads DO NOT be tempted to use taps and dies. There are thread restoring tools out there that are designed to do the job. A classic example of the "wrong way" are back axle banjo bolts which have been "restored" with a die. Then there's the torment of stopping lubricant leaks past the threads.
My '30 CCPU was "restored" in Minitoba, Canada. The guy who did it chased the banjo threads and I had that problem but it is easy to fix. I drained the oil, flushed and removed the bolts one at a time, I then used brake cleaner or carburettor cleaner (could use wax and grease remover) on a strip of rag to clean the thread. I did the same to the tread on the bolts, put some Permatex No 3 on it and screwed them back in. now, 9 months after returning the oil to the diff, it hasn't leaked a drop. I think we sometimes get a little precious about how things should be done, especially when we think about how these cars have been treated during their "just another old car" days.