View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #14
1crosscut

Default Re: Model A backfire, can't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw530 View Post
Still new to Model A's, and am having an issue, so I thought I would check with you guys to see if there is an obvious answer. I drove the car today on a little trip about 50 miles each way. Ran good until I was a couple of miles from home, and it started to sputter, and then backfire. It finally got so bad, that I had to pull it home. I had just put the manifold back on with a new gasket after having it planed. I had adjusted the points to .20, and put in new plugs and a coil. To me, it is acting very lean, but I have fuel at the carb and the glass in line filter is full. Is it ignition? I did notice when I adjusted the points, that they seem too closed. I had to open them up to get to .20. Could the points be bad? I am not very good with ignition either! Thanks in advance.
Had a situation like yours once. The gap in the block that holds the movable points didn't have a large enough of a gap to allow it to squeeze the movable point enough to hold it in place. I had to remove the movable point and sand the gap larger to allow it to squeeze the movable point so it wouldn't move. So if you check your point gap again and it is not right check the gap in the point block.