View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #182
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Well it's 5am and I'm on my second cup of coffee. Seems the building trades recession is nearing an end here in the islands. We are working on a couple of mega homes at the same time and bracing for a two home family compound on one of the outer islands without ferry service. These large waterfront cabinet projects are often done in conjunction with huge Seattle based general contractors and architects and they take a lot out of me and my two or three man shop. I am the only one of the subcontractors that actually uses tools all day long and is a totally 'hands on' shop worker. Of course the deadlines are nearly impossible to maintain and all the huge amounts of paperwork fall upon me in the evenings after we're done for the day in the shop. In my typical long winded fashion I have just explained why progress on the wood wagon has come to a crawl. Well that and the fact that I have 4 grown kids that like to bring their families up to the old place they grew up on the weekends. Grandma and Grandpa DO enjoy that as many of you can attest. Now a huge wedding looms this summer with 200 out of town guests..... Since I can't sleep I figure I can get a couple hours in this morning before my guys show up at seven. My plan is to sort out the maple and do some proper layout on the doors now that I have all the angles worked out. Last Sunday afternoon after the kids headed for the ferry I got a few good hours in on sheet metal work. This was mostly tapping out dents, welding up cracks, dragging better pieces out of a storage shed and scrounging up good hood trim, but it felt great seeing some progress. For now I am priming with rustoleum red primer and using two colors of green in krylon rattle cans. Both are satin finish. One is 'camp green' and the other is 'Italian Olive'. My local Island Hardware doesn't stock them so I always pick some up when I'm 'over town'. When I run out of one I switch to the other. They are very similar. This may or may not be the final finish, but it looks presentable for now. Here's a couple pictures from Sunday. Oh great, now it's 5:30, gotta run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 004.JPG (115.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 012.JPG (170.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 018.JPG (113.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 019.JPG (161.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg kids on 38.jpg (92.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg kids on 59 011 (2).jpg (100.8 KB, 97 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)