Thread: Flywheel
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Flywheel

I don't run the heavy counter balanced crankshaft, so I can only speak from my experience with a lighter flywheel used with an unmodified, good cond. original crankshaft. My experience with a lightened 18 to 20 pounds flywheel will give near the same seat of the pants feel of adding a higher compression head, maybe better in the fact that the engine will rev quicker, accelerate much, much quicker and the gears will shift maybe 50% easier, without as much danger of clash. The extra weight removed will help the main bearings last longer. With the heavy original flywheen, when you try to accelerate from 40-45 mph you won't feel anything but the car, if properly tuned will SLOWLY gain speed. If a lighter flywheel is used you will be able to accelerate much like a modern car. Some will say that if you add a counter balanced crankshaft, you should only remove the same amount of weight from the flywheel as the extra weight that the heavier counter weights add.I disagree with this practice. If the weight removed from the flywheel is only the same amount added by the crankshaft there will be NO added performance in acceleration or shifting. More weight will need to be removed or it will remain status quo.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote