View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: JAX vintage valve components

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodcbx View Post
Today I took the heads/intake off on the driver side and removed the valves and lifters. All the clearances on cyl. 4 - 8 were extreme, some as high as .075. The lifter screws were loose but otherwise the lifter faces looked great, no sign of cam interference.
I took them apart and saw a crappy way of securing the adj. screw to the lifter body. There was a 1/8" hole drilled in the side of the screw with a nylon insert which fell out as I disassembled the lifter. There was no interference fit at all!!
I then put the screw in my vice and "distorted" the threads in a number of different areas. Finally I re-assembled with red locktite. Hope it works, they seem really tight now. I believe JAX has improved on these lifters as mine must have been an early production run... I'm still disappointed, for the price I expected more..
Based on the limited information available it seems that these lifters were never meant to be used in anything but "Drag race engines" and not for normal road use.
That is why they are designed the way they are (for short runs)
I would never put a hollow 'bronze' lifter in a street engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JAX2.JPG (164.8 KB, 64 views)