View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
mngreen

Default Re: Battery Tender Surge Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
My first failed after 6 months. The light stayed red, never went to green, and the unit was quite hot. The second one lasted 6 weeks or 2 months and died the same way.
I have used both the 6V and 12V Deltran units hooked up continually, 24/7 for many years with no problems whatsoever and average close to about 8-9 years' life on a good battery.

However, for the 6V unit only, the order in which one hooks up the wires is VERY important. If you carefully read the instructions it states to hook up the leads to the battery FIRST and then plug the unit unto the AC outlet SECOND. Many times I forget and reverse the order since it is quite convenient to simply leave the unit plugged in at the outlet and unhook the quick disconnect at the battery and then re-hookup after a drive. At those times the unit stays red and never changes to green . If I see the red staying on for a longer than usual time, I simply unplug from the AC outlet and then plug it in again--it always then resets to green if the battery is full .

The 12V unit seems to have more "intelligence" in the circuitry and isn't that finicky on the hookup order .
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote