View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Few questions.....New Flathead owner!!!

Your grandfather must have thought highly of you to pass his beloved early Ford V8 on to you...so I'm sure you want to do him proud by taking good care of his 'baby'. Many of these old EFV8's got a 59 series engine transplant back in the day. When the original 21 stud, 221 CI, 85 hp engine gave up the ghost it was so easy to go to a local junkyard and pick up the then later model FH V8 and drop it right in. It was much easier and less costly back then to just swap in a 59 engine and keep on keepin' on. Heck, that's exactly what I did in 1959 after I pleaded with My Dad to buy me this '35 3W coupe that a local junkyard had just hauled in the yard with freeze cracked 21 stud original engine. I had that coupe on the road in 1960 right after I turned 16. I owned that car right up to 1976. It was taking up space in my then one car garage and being a family man with two young children, I did not have the time nor the money to work on it...so like a big dummy I sold it and used the money for other necessities. I doubt your granddad replaced the original floor shift transmission with a '46 column shift transmission because back in the day it was much cooler to have 3 on the floor then 3 on the tree, but he may have put the better gears from a '46 box into his stock '35 box and topped it off with a '39 shifter. Or he may have just married that 59 to the original stock '35 transmission which will normally give you some 'raking' of gears sound when shifting between second and third. All of my '35's did this occasionally and the one's I own today also do that. Don't worry about it, just drive it and learn to properly double clutch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd back to 2nd. The more you work on and drive that '35 the more of an addicted V8'er you will become. Good luck, ask lots of questions here and welcome to the Ford Barn!! You are going to like what you can learn here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-13-2012 at 06:27 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote