View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #38
tubman

Default Re: Anyone heard from TOD lately about casting a new block?

That's the stock (wrong side) starter housing). After years of searching, I finally found an aluminum switchover housing that moves the starter to the right side of the engine, away from the steering box. It's not in this picture, but right behind the engine is an adapter plate to a '32-'48 Ford, while the housing behind that is to '49-64 Ford.

The distributor is real interesting, It looks like a regular dual point Mallory "flattop", but it has a 4 lobe cam. It uses a special version of a Mallory "FlashFire" coil with two primary windings and one secondary. The points are wired separately and alternately fire each primary coil winding. It's kind of a "poor man's dual coil" in that you don't need a special cap and rotor. This is why it requires two condensers; it is in reality two separate four cylinder ignition systems, the only common part being the secondary coil winding. The coils are very difficult to find; the one I have is for a 6 volt system, but I figure if I can get the right ballast resistor, I can run it on 12 volts.

I'm sure glad you like the condensers. A good original Mallory condenser is hard enough to find, let alone two. I couldn't find 'em so I made 'em. These are the units I ended up selling because nobody else can find good ones either.

Last edited by tubman; 04-16-2020 at 02:21 PM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote