View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #32
GB SISSON

Default Re: Anyone heard from TOD lately about casting a new block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I think that is correct. You may have been thinking of the Elizabeth Taylor move "Butterfield 8", where she play a high-priced prostitute.

While I hope he is successful, I too believe that it is not economically feasible. As the population ages, the supply is going up while the demand is going down. There was a thread over on the H.A.M.B. where a guy documented his purchase of a semi load of of supposedly "good" blocks from the daughter of an engine builder. Given who the previous owner was, I would bet that the great majority of them are good. How many similar situations exist across the country"? A dozen? Perhaps even hundreds? I would bet that almost every "serious" member here (those with over 1000 posts) has at least one extra good block, and most have multiples. How about you? I know I do. I would guess there now exist well over 100,000 usable spare flathead blocks in the United States

There may be an exception for some early 21 stud blocks, so may be a niche there, but it would be a specialty market that would bear the high cost of production.

Sad but true. I do know two guys in their 30s that are interested in our flathead V8s, but that isn't near enough....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote