View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Default Re: Rear diff rebuild process question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In the differential rebuild tutorial I wrote I indicated that the first attempt at determining carrier bearing pre-load was to see if the axle housings could be bolted up to the banjo without gaskets such that the rotation of the carrier could be locked up.

The reason for this is a starting point for a first time rebuilder who may not fully understand what it is he is trying to achieve. If you can lock the carrier without banjo gaskets installed you are assured as you add banjo gaskets that it will unlock the carrier and you probably will be able to establish a pre-load.

If you are unable to lock the carrier without gaskets you will be unable to achieve a pre-load setting unless you add shims under the carrier bearings. You can also add the shims under the races in the axle housings instead if that is your preference. However, I find it much easier to remove a bearing than a race and the carrier bearing shims are readily available from Bratton's.

Jim Brierley is correct about not aggressively over tightening the axle housing bolts when seeking the carrier lock up. The method should be to torque the bolts on the right axle housing down to 35 ft. lbs. On the left side start tightening the bolts and at the same time spin the carrier with your fingers reached in though the open banjo flange. You will achieve lock-up long before you can do damage to anything. If you end up with all the left side bolts torqued down and you can still turn the carrier, you are going to need shims.

I have to admit I do not follow this procedure as I have done enough rebuilds to understand what I am looking for. I start out with two .010 banjo gaskets because that is the least amount of gaskets I want to end up with. If I find that the carrier turns too freely with the two gaskets, I am going to need more bearing shims. If the carrier is too tight with the two gaskets, I am going to have to add more banjo gaskets.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote