View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #999
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

John Caboret.

I start this story with part of an article from a newspaper dated Feb. 2017.

ONCE a jolly swagman worked at a Melbourne bank, tired of his office job, camped behind a desk.
So he packed up his things and he headed for the open road, 40 years on and he is yet to take a rest.
Born in 1954 in the Western Victorian town of Minyip, John Cadoret was in his early twenties when he decided to leave his shared flat and party life behind, simply because he wanted to.
“I don’t regret anything. Regrets are useless. You just hopefully learn. I have learnt to take each day as it comes,” he said in the shade next to the Oxley Highway as he was passing through Wauchope.
“I didn’t really decide to do this, I just took a break from life and fell into it. I decided an office job wasn’t what I wanted. I didn’t know what I wanted.”

I have seen this fellow on the road some three times now. The first, I stopped and offered him a ride. He seemed unhappy about that and I got the message, he didn’t need a ride and was in no hurry.
He featured on a TV program once so I don’t know how the producer talked him into revealing his life. He was taken to his parents’ home and I remember his mother was so angry with him. Understandably. He hadn’t made contact with them for some 28 years and mum presumed him dead. I don’t recall much more for it was many years ago.
Unlike the swagmen of yesteryear Caboret was carrying his swag over one shoulder. Traditionally it was carried over two shoulders like one carries a knapsack.

I receive many email funnies and decided to share one with you. The clip won’t transfer so I’ll tell it. Because it involves motoring I’ll post it because this forum involves just that.
In Ireland, a motorist needed some directions so he stopped and asked a local for help. It goes like this.

Motorist to local. Could you tell me the quickest way to Donegal please.
Local. Are you walking or driving?
The slightly perplexed motorist answers, driving.
Irish man. Well that’s the quickest way then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (12.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (5.6 KB, 6 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote