View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #987
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Is faster better?

This is a story about a farmer, his name is Graham. Graham was interested in learning to fly so he purchased a small Piper Cherokee. A 140hp aeroplane which has 4 seats. It would fly with 4 on a cool day and providing takeoff run was downhill. Otherwise 2 people on board was quite okay.
Well he learned to fly and I’d see him scooting around the local area in the afternoons, he was enjoying himself. The aeroplane was kept near his house which would have driven his wife made with dust he left her when he opened the throttle.
It took about 2 years and those would-be pilots who held themselves in high esteem; otherwise known as armchair authorities, convinced Graham he needed a faster aeroplane. Something that he could go touring in and with retractable wheels. Something that would look slick and make him feel proud when he stopped by airstrips and airports away from home. Well Graham went and purchased a 260hp Piper Comanche which met the specifications recommended. But more fuel burn, more dust for his wife to clean, more friends who liked to fly but didn’t have an aeroplane. Graham did very few tours in it and lost interest. He quit the afternoon local flights. The aeroplane was too fast and the pilot workload much greater. Not suitable for spying on his neighbours and to compare their crops. About a year later he sold it and said to me how he missed that little aeroplane. He has not replaced it.
As a side benefit his wife had no dust to clean. He probably has fewer friends now but more sincere ones.
The pictures are not of Graham’s aeroplanes but sourced from the internet.

Jim, if you send me the pictures of your A's to my email address I will see if I can post them for you. g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 733d7a2b6a099539797d52df3a338f9c.jpg (81.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg (9.7 KB, 12 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-28-2021 at 04:01 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote