View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #84
Ranchero50

Default Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Thanks for posting! Looking good! I would love to hear the exhaust note!
Think big single cylinder lawn tractor right now. Probably be different once the blown B gets installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
Outstanding Work!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by neds29 View Post
Love the dash! Great work. Creativity is #1 in my book.
Stupid question time: Are the exhaust pipes all the same length? I think that I read somewhere years ago that racers build them that way. Is that true?
Ned
Yes, the goal is to have the exhaust pulses exit the header primary pipe in equal impulses so I tried to keep the pipes the same length. Having too tight of a curve causes problems with the flow though. If the pulses are out of sync the pipe loses efficiency. Using the firing order 1-2-4-3 I paired 1-4 and 2-3 so the impulses will be evenly spaced out. Then both pairs go through the X crossover to feed both pairs of exhaust pipes. I wanted small pipe diameter so I had plenty of velocity which should help draw out the exhaust from the paired cylinders as the high speed exhaust pulse goes past the inactive pipe. There's a lot of science, some thermodynamics and even some math involved to get close.