View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #35
Ranchero50

Lightbulb Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
that jay leno model T episode with the young family guy who found his cars dirt track racing day doors. was his best episode yet.
Watching that episode for the fourth or fifth time is what motivated me to do this.

Onto today's challenge, the firewall... I've spent the whole day literally beating a sheet of aluminum into submission. I traced the profile of the wooden mock up on the sheet and cut it out with an extra 1.5" of material and left it long on the bottom. The sheet is 6061-T6 in .063" which is very difficult to cold work but I wanted a good stiff firewall once done and this will do the truck.

This was at lunch, roughed in the engine pocket to stiffen the sheet and started working the edge. There's a ton of shrinking going on.

The red line was my guide.

This was taken at 7:30 this evening. I figure I'm about halfway getting the form right and smoothing the bumps.

I still need to do the bump out for the starter and steering column as well as the passenger side stuff. The trim the bent part back to about an inch and shrink it to get the panel to lay flat. Then cut the toe board opening out and see if it actually will fit. I expect this will be the most difficult part of building the car body. If I can pull this off it's all downhill from here.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote