View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #2730
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Today my Flathead follies continued, I was able (without encountering too much difficulty), to remove and disassemble the drivers side front door latch mechanism from the '39 CS, in order to replace the broken spring. All of the catalogs and actual Ford reference books I have show a latch with two springs and a "dog leg" piece protruding from the bottom of the latch assembly. Wouldn't ya know it, my car, had a different latch assembly! 😲 The body number on my '39 is 1507 out of 3561 built so its right in the middle of the production run. It's not surprising that Ford would make "running changes" to various assemblies however, I have not been able to find any information on the latch in my car.🧐 Anyway, I disassembled and cleaned everything and, as luck would have it, during the reassembly, three of the four tabs that hold the moving part of the assembly to the faceplate, snapped off! Color me not at all happy.😟 Now I'll have to go to plan "B". Problem is, I don't have a plan "B"! Several of the parts suppliers for antique Fords have a re-popped door latch assembly in their catalogs however, I would bet that they are made off-shore and most likely are not up to the level of quality of the original Ford Part. As they say, the saga continues.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1559428997
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1822.jpg (23.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1821.jpg (34.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1820.jpg (36.3 KB, 29 views)