View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
ChicagoBob

Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

When I got married in 1989, my wife and I decided that a Model A would be a good investment and good transportation. We lived on the North side of Chicago, where we didn't have to drive every day, and then rarely had to exceed 35 mph. I had owned one years before and knew how easy they were to maintain and how durable. So in 1991 we bought a '30 Tudor, which had been restored in 1970, and it was a great car for us for 20 years, and our only car for about 10 of those years. When we had kids, it was great for carting them and their friends to the beach, and we had fun with bunches of kids in parades.

By 2011, our kids were growing up, and we'd moved to the suburbs, where a car had to be able to maintain 50 mph to keep up with traffic. Our car couldn't do it, even after I took up the bearings. Also, after 20 years the car was beginning to look a little ratty, and we couldn't afford to treat it to the TLC it needed. So, when our oldest daughter turned 16, we finally sold it (after she learned to drive it) - for more than we'd paid in 1991! It helped pay for college, and it gave us a lot of memories (some of which are depicted below).

We hope to have another someday.

Last edited by ChicagoBob; 10-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote