View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #17
Dkrahn

Default Re: Carb backfire when release accelerator - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambuzza View Post
Thank you Ernie for the magnet suggestion - I'll work on one of those next!

Bad news - this morning I started, did not sound good - somewhat skipping. WHile driving it was skipping so bad I turned around a block away to bring home.

Two items I ordered earlier this week in order to further troubleshoot ignition issues if needed and they arrived just in time. The first was the Lightning Rod (neon tester) to check for voltage going to spark plugs. I started, then tested 4, 3, 2 - ok - 1 - nothing. I went through all four again, and still got same results - weird. I then tested for continuity between the inside of distributor and tabs and all was good. I even tried another old body and the same results. I reassembled and tried starting and there was a he**tious boom in the carb as well as I believe the tailpipe scaring the crap out of my wife. After that, I thought I'd look at at ignition again - specifically the points. Up to this time I wasn't able to rotate the engine manually, so I just checked them for cleanliness, but then the second item - the Hand Crank - arrived. I moved the crank to a high spot on the distributor, and measured about almost minimal, if non existent opening happened. I rotated to all four points and they were the same. I then adjusted to .020 and ensured it did the same on all four high spots. Reassembled and started right up - no issue except seemed much smoother. Used the Lightning Rod and all four nodes lit up - progress! Only item I couldn't check now was a test drive as it was pouring rain outside. I am noticing a difference in response now as well when I hit the accelerator as it seems a bit delayed. I hope nothing was damaged in the carburetor on that last big bang. Any other items I should look out for if the test drive shows as in driveway - lagging accelerator or response when I hit the petal?
Can you please hum a few bars on what this "Lightning Rod" is, how it works and what all it tests?
Dkrahn is offline   Reply With Quote