View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
Rob Doe

Default Re: Carb backfire when release accelerator - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambuzza View Post
Followed this advice next, as the third item I received the other day was my Nurex wrench. Used the crank and pin method to find TDC-my first time so it was a bit tedious. I do wish I had the "bent wrench" to do the cranking as it seemed every time I got near the dimple, I would go past too quick. It took a bit of patience but I eventually reached the point where it hit the edge and down into the dimple. Looking at the relative position to where the rotor was, the timing was definitely off. After following the procedure, tightening, reassembly, attempted to start and it fired right up with no hesitation or backfiring. When the accelerator was hit, the engine responded immediately - not delayed as before. It is pouring rain right now so I'll have to wait until morning for a hopefully dry morning, and see if the adjustments and replacements that were obviously needed made a significant difference.

At this point I am amazed that this car has run what I thought "well" for this long. Hoping to see a significant improvement.

When you go past TDC with the crank, you can put the car in 3rd gear and rock it backward a bit and the pin will drop back in. Once it is all the way in, take the car out of gear so that it won't move on ya.

If you remove the #1 plug that will also help, but I usually don't do that. I get close and then stop to let the compression bleed off for several seconds which makes it easier to hit TDC on the first try. If I still miss, then I put her in gear as stated above.

You're on a great forum full of immense knowledge. It's like having 10,000 new friends.