View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
rockfla

Default Re: Speedomter advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Finger tight is all that is needed. Did you lubricate the replacement turtle shaft and gear? what is the condition of the gear that is on the drive shaft under the turtle? Did you remove the inner speedometer cable and inspect it? It should be lubed with a graphite cable lube. Make sure the finger nut on the turtle is going all the way down to clamp the outer speedometer cable housing to the turtle face. From my experience you have to use an electric drill in the reverse mode to make the Ford speedometer read. If you install the turtle reverse the cable will turn in the reverse direction and you may get the speedo to operate. You could disconnect the speedo end and watch the inner cable to make sure it is turning. If the speedo sticks at 20mph it may be dirt or lack of use. Once you get it to read going fordward give it some time to exercise if it continues to stick the speedo will need some maintance.

First-Yes I lubed the turtle/drive shaft gear before I installed the turtle.
Second-the speedo cable is new
Third-I will look when I get home and make sure the housing is seated all the way on the housing of the cable.
Forth-YES you are right, drill in reverse to spin the cable in the "correct" direction.
Fifth- I did disconnect the cable at the speedo and pulled it out so I could hold it and drove the car, I DID feel the cable turning.
Sixth-I installed the turtle the same way the old one came off SO.....

Is there two different styles of turtles???? Gears cut on the "reverse" angle???
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote