View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Default Re: Werner - ask away

My Pop was involved in world war II and was only a 2nd generation of German ancestry on both paternal and maternal sides. He did his duty in being a crew member of a B-17 dropping their loads on the Fatherland but he always felt uneasy about the collateral damages. He went back to Germany in the 1980s & 1990s to re-establish connections with cousins of both sides of the family. Some family members in Germany came over here to the US to visit as well. It did a lot to help him deal with any percieved guilt in his action during the war and it also enlightened him on how far the relatives had come since the war. A good healing experience I'm sure.

I can't speak for every one by any stretch of the imagination but I feel the tensions between the peoples of both countries are pretty much gone now. Especially with the new generations not even knowing much of the history of the early to mid 20th century. As far as this Ford Barn forum is concerned, it gives us a connection with Europe and the rest of the world for better understanding of all the things manufactured by the various Ford agencies including Koln and others around the world.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote