View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
draggin49

Default Re: T170 trans with stock 1932 ford K member ??

I had considered a Mitchell/Columbia but with most I’ve spoken to those are best suited for stock motors or modified motors without a lot of hp/tq.
With either of those options plus a 39 trans I just feel like I’m asking too much of the part
because it was NEVER meant to be used with a significantly larger Hp/tq level. Back in the day if you blew your 39 trans it was much easier and cheaper to fix .
My goal for this car is to drive it a ton ,lots of daily driving and also drive it to various driving events Bonneville, hot rod hill climb etc. The overdrive to me is something that will make my car more capable to do what I want to do driving wise . Car will have to do tons of freeway /highway driving .If it was a car that was mainly for just driving around town I wouldn’t bother with overdrive .
I understand that a newer overdrive trans isn’t correct in this car but I gotta decide what is more important durability / drivability or being able to say my car has a correct era trans even though it won’t be as strong and won’t let me do freeway / long drives as well.
draggin49 is offline   Reply With Quote