View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 01:25 AM   #11
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 Ford door adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 ranch View Post
I have the Dennis Carpenter weatherstripping on my car. I might as well have no weatherstripping at all. I'm curious as to which dodge weatherstripping you used. I would love to change mine out if it made for a leak free door. Thanks!
Okay, but you're gonna hate this. Based upon every type they had to offer, the closest thing I could find was part # LP 64-A from Metro Moulded Parts Inc. It costs $3.75/ft. Bear in mind, I knew before I ordered it that I would need to cut-off 1/8 inch along the entire length of the bottom of the gasket to get the desired height.
It is not listed my make and year, just by part number, but the gasket material is used for '66-'70 Mopar trunk seal.
I used a wooden work table, a very sharp exacto-knife (razor) and a shallow metal straightedge (1/16 inch thick) and 3 ft long. I clamped the straightedge down to the table with the gasket in between, exposing the 1/8 inch I wanted to cut off. It's important to note that the straightedge MUST be a shallow thickness so that the cut you are making is not distorted. In other words, using a 4ft aluminum carpenters level with edges 1-1/4" deep will not likely give you a clean, straight cut because you won't be able to hold the knife blade straight.
The only part of my door gaskets I replaced was from the bottom of the front post- up and around and back down to the bottom of the back post. The old Dennis Carpenter gaskets still give a good seal at the door jamb below those points.
After the cuts were made, I held the gaskets in place on the inside of the doors (where the old gaskets had already been removed) and found them to give me exactly the height and width I was hoping for.
I glued the new gaskets on using the Yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive. For me, the yellow stuff seems to hold better than the black stuff.
By the time I had started on this, both my front doors had already been adjusted where I wanted them (ending the 40 year long drama of struggling with doors that were badly misaligned and didn't close right).
Then, after glueing the gaskets on, I cut a strip off a sheet of Xerox paper and stuck it between the door and the jamb and closed the door on the paper. At each point where I tested, I couldn't pull the paper out without tearing the paper, so the new gaskets are a good tight fit, while at the same time, the doors close and latch properly very easily with just a flick of the wrist. I was absolutely beside myself for a while over this.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote